I love organizing and I love helping my clients get organized. While working with clients, I often give them advice and little tips to help with the organizing process. I thought I would share some of them here to help you get organized and stay organized.
1. Start small. Focus on organizing one small area (a kitchen counter, a drawer, a cupboard etc.) and don’t start anything else until that one is done.
2. If you have way too much stuff then organizing will not be enough; you will need to let some things go.
3.When going through your clothes, ask yourself “Would I buy this today?” if the answer is no then let it go.
4. If you haven’t used it in a year, ask yourself “Do I really need this?” if not then let it go.
5. Dealing with an elderly parent who needs to downsize or who has passed away is very stressful. Do you really want to leave all this stuff for your children to go through?
6. There are high costs to having clutter.
7. Use clear containers when storing items, it is easier to see what is inside.
8. Label your containers and anything else that will make it easier for you to remember what something is or where something goes.
9. Try to finish organizing one room before going to another room. If you come across items that belong in another room, just put them outside of the room you are organizing and when you are done organizing the room, pick up the items and put them away in their proper rooms.
10. One in one out rule. This rule is perfect for clothes or other items you have a lot of. For every item you bring in, you let go of one that you are no longer using.
11. Take a few minutes at the end of the day and tidy up. You will feel better waking up in the morning to a tidy home.
12. Get your clothes, items you need for work, and lunches ready the night before.
13. Clean your kitchen while you are cooking and again after you are finished eating. If you do this daily, there won’t be much to clean.
14. Keep like items together in one spot.
15. Use a filing cabinet for your files and at the end of the year, go through the files and recycle or shred what you no longer need.
16. Before you buy it stop and really think about whether you need it.
17. Make a change. In order to really stay organized, you have to change your habits.
18. Don’t give up. You may feel overwhelmed and want to give up, but don’t. You will be very happy you didn’t once you’re done!
19. Ask for help. If you really can’t do it on your own, ask family or friends to help you, or hire a professional organizer that can help you get organized and stay organized.
20. Sit back, relax and enjoy your newly organized home.
I hope these tips will help you get organized and stay organized. Feel free to comment explaining which ones you found the most helpful or if you have any organizing advice you would like to add.
Like what you read? Connect with me on social media for more organizing tips!